Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Jets Front Office Wowed By Mangini's Tales...



Jets front office wowed by Mangini’s tales of being a New England Patriot
From The SportsPickle.com

The New York Jets named Patriots defensive coordinator Eric Mangini their new coach on Tuesday after Mangini impressed the team’s brass in his lone interview with stories of what it was like to hang out with Bill Belichick, Tom Brady and the rest of the Patriots team.

“Did you know that Eric has Bill Belichick’s number programmed into his cell phone?” said Jets owner Woody Johnson. “Seriously, he showed it to me. I thought that was so cool. It says ‘Bill: cell.’ He’s on a first name basis with Bill Belichick – the Bill Belichick – can you believe that? I’m so jealous. I wonder if he’s ever been to Belichick’s house. I bet it’s awesome.”

Mangini, 34, who has only worked for one year as a coordinator, said he was surprised at the ease of his interview and that the Jets didn’t ask him any questions about football matters.

“That football stuff will fall into place, I’m sure,” said Jets general manager Terry Bradway. “We all assume he’s just a genius ‘cause he coached for the Patriots. I mean, that’s a given, right? We’re just excited to have one of them here with the Jets. We would do anything to be like the Patriots, and if we could just be half as cool as them we would be happy. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ve been dying to ask Eric if there is an actual glow that emanates from Tom Brady, or if I’m just imagining it because I’m in love with him. I bet it’s both – that he actually glows, but the glow is enhanced due to my unyielding passion – but I’m interested to find out for sure.”

No comments: