Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Mel Kiper Rips The Jets For Their Pick In His Mock Draft


From The Sports Pickle

NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper, Jr., criticized the New York Jets today for their pick in his most recent mock draft.

“I just don’t understand why they would take D’Brickashaw Ferguson, an offensive tackle, with the fourth pick in my mock draft when they have far greater needs than help on the offensive line,” said Kiper. “Ferguson will be a solid pro, but this mock draft mistake by the Jets is just another in a long line of draft errors made by the organization. As sad as it is, I can’t say I’m surprised I made them make a bad pick in my mock draft.”

Kiper listed quarterback, defensive line and linebacker as bigger areas of need for the Jets than offensive tackle, and felt they would be better served by picking Matt Leinart, Vince Young, Mario Williams, Haloti Ngata or A.J. Hawk. But when the Jets came up fourth in his mock draft, Kiper slotted them to pick Ferguson.

“As I was writing down Ferguson’s name in their slot at number four, I couldn’t believe they were picking him,” said Kiper. “And then when I typed it up and posted it on my website it really sunk in that they had screwed up again. This has gone on long enough in New York. They need to seriously consider getting some new blood in the front office, or I’m going to be tempted to have them make bad picks in mock drafts again next year and the year after that and the year after that.”

Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum said he is not fazed by Kiper’s criticism.

“He often comes down on our picks,” said Tannenbaum. “So this is nothing new. And while I and everyone else in my position across the NFL thinks he is insane, this is probably the first definitive proof of that. Now he’s critiquing picks in mock drafts – things that are wastes of time in of themselves anyway? The guy needs help.”

Kiper said he will release one more mock draft before Saturday’s first round gets underway, but he fears the Jets will still make a good pick.

“I’ve been hearing rumors in my head that they will pick the punter from McNeese State in my next mock draft,” he said. “For their sake and the sake of their fans I hope I don’t make them do it.”

No comments: