Monday, December 03, 2007

A Squish Of The Fish



Can you believe it? We won a game! Well, it was against the even more pathetic Dolphins who haven't won a game yet but at least we proved that we are a MUCH better team than the stinkin' fish. I'd be embarrassed if we had lost that game.

First of all, the Jets need to get rid of the throwback uniforms. If they were green and white, I'd have NO PROBLEMS with it. But we are GANG GREEN and people chant "GO GREEN" and we were wearing BLUE for the 2nd time this year. I'm not EVER gonna say "GO BLUE" as that sounds like I'm rooting for the Giants or Michigan. So, let's wear GREEN and stop with this retro nonsense to sell shirts and hats.

Okay, as for the game, I liked some of the things the offense did as we squished the fish 40-13. This was our biggest margin of victory in 17 games dating back to last season so that was nice to see a romp in our favor.

What I liked most was Kellen's poise in the pocket. His interception was NOT terrible as it was a deflection and that should have definitely been caught. If we get a better offense line, I think he can do a lot better as he was constantly under pressure all day with one of those pressures being a blind side blitz causing a fumble for a touchdown. At that point, I thought it was gonna be a long day. Kellen's arm looked great throwing the ball downfield numerous times and hit on a 50+ yarder to Justin McCarins. I loved Kellen's use of the shovel pass as it worked twice for nice gains. Kellen passed for 236 yards and improved a bit on his completion percentage which I like seeing. Again, if he wasn't running for his life a lot of the time, his numbers will get even better.

I think we overused Brad Smith with the direct snaps to him. Eventually, the Dolphins figured out what was gonna happen. We even had a direct snap to Leon Washington who scored 2 TDs for the day. But, Brad Smith needs to catch better. He suffered another drop yesterday. If he wants to be a #3 receiver in this league, he needs to have better hands. Thomas Jones and Leon Washington had nice days running and Jones finally got his first TD of the season.

The defense really was the story. We had 3 interceptions - Rhodes, Revis, and Coleman. We had a 2 sacks that caused fumbled - Thomas and Harris. The defense gave us great field position all day long pressuring the QB and playing solid D.

I like what I saw but, again, we were playing the winless Dolphins so I'm not getting too excited about this game. If we ever beat the Patriots to ruin their perfect season, then YES, I'd get excited.

Notes:

1. In three games since the bye week, the Jets have recorded 13 sacks after only nine in the previous nine games.

2. Mangini improved to 4-0 vs. the Dolphins.

3. Thomas Jones scored his first touchdown as a Jet after 226 carries.

No comments: