Saturday, October 08, 2005

Buc/Ex-Jet Anthony Becht reveals secret. . .


. . . that he has been a life-long victim of Hands Like Feet Syndrome.

"I've been holding this back for such a long time. It was eating me up inside, and I knew I wouldn't be able to be happy until I let it out." said Becht at a 4:20 PM press conference today.

When Anthony was born, doctors told his mother that the shape of his hands would correct itself within a year. However, after a year without any progress, he was diagnosed with HLFS. His parents were devastated. "We hoped that one day he would work in the family business. But who would eat a pizza made with someone's feet?"

At school, the other children ridiculed him, and frequent bullying forced him to eventually stand up for himself. He developed a strong shoving ability, and this was what drew the attention of the local high school football coach, Dirk Podinski. "He wasn't the brightest kid, and those mitts of his were about as useful for catching as hooves, but dang, he really knew how to shove." stated Podinski.

But Anthony refused to play on the offensive line, because he believed it was "for losers". So Coach P did the next best thing, and put him at tight end. That was the beginning of a magical journey that would lead all the way to being selected 27th overall in the 2000 draft by the New York Jets."

Every Sunday, I think of everyone who supported me so I could make it this far. I've started my own charity foundation to research a cure for HLFS, and I hope that I help some kids out there. As a kid I never could've imagined that I'd be making 1.69 catches per game for a professional football team."

When asked what he thought of Becht's revelation, Jets coach Herm Edwards said "Who the f**k is Anthony Becht?".

No comments: